My scariest Mommy moment...


happened yesterday. The three boys were playing outside while I worked on putting new fabric on some old patio furniture for my grandma. I was right there on the screened in porch as they played. I ran inside real quick to use the restroom leaving the backdoor open so that they could follow me inside if they wanted and so that I could hear them if they needed me. I was inside for under 2 minutes. When I walked back out to the porch Jackson was in the kitchen. I looked in the back yard and Mason was still under the tree house digging up the yard (yup...they're still digging up the yard, UGH!) But I couldn't see Owen. Not panicking yet, I looked behind each tree and in the little yard barn that we keep their toys in. I thought "well maybe he followed Jax into the house" so I yelled for Kasey (his office is in our house) to help me look for him. Quickly we found that he was not in any room, closet, or under any bed. OK now we panic! I'm crying and yelling for him and so are the boys. I run to the front yard and yell for him...nothing. I run to our neighbor's house and tell her that I can't find Owen. Kasey jumped the back fence and ran down the back alley to the city park. (we always walk the boys down this little alley straight to the park, it's 3 houses down from our house) Kasey said as he ran down the alley he just kept praying "please God let me see my baby when I get over this hill" and there he was. His beautiful little blond head sitting at the top of a very high metal slide that we NEVER let him climb alone. The slide sits about 25 feet from the city LAKE. Kasey ran to get him and was told by a sweet little elderly lady that she had called 911. So he ran Owen home to me (I was still home searching and crying) and he ran back to the park to wait for the police. (They never came because the lady called them back and told them that Kasey had gotten there) After we all calmed down a little I sat Owen down on a step at our back porch. Mason gave him the biggest hug and said through sniffles that Jesus had kept his baby brother safe so that he didn't get hit by a car. Both of the gates in our backyard were still closed and latched. We couldn't figure out how he could've gotten out. Kasey said "hey buddy, show daddy how you got out." He ran right to the fence and started to climb OVER it!!! He's only 21 months old! He just sees his big bubbies doing things and he doesn't realize he's a baby...he just does whatever they do, sometimes more. Not to mention he's HARD HEADED! The whole time he was lost I kept thinking that it only takes a second in some cases and they're GONE! Owen ran down a back alley rarely traveled by vehicles but some days we see a couple of cars on it. He crossed a street and played ALONE on a dangerous park slide right next to a lake that he is very interested in. I'm still very much in shock that the whole thing happened but I'm also very much in deep praise to God for keeping my baby safe.
Later that afternoon I took Owen to see the sweet lady who had called 911. Kasey had told me that she was very upset and was crying. She sits out on her front porch with her walker every day. She doesn't get around well at all. She told me that she remembers watching me walk around the lake every night while I was pregnant and all she could think of was that my little baby boy was going to go into the water and there was nothing she could do to get to him. If my heart wasn't hurting enough...it definitely was after that. I'm just so very thankful that he's safe. We didn't sleep well last night, we kept going into his room to check on him. I can't really express how I feel with words. He's my baby boy and it was so scary. He could've been gone...just like that. But now he's home...Thank you JESUS!

10 comments:

Trin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Trin said...

Oh Tina, my mommy heart goes out to you!! I am soooooooo glad you guys found Owen!! I know how scary that is, Stasia once ran away in WalMart. We couldn't find her,(or anyone who worked there) I was freaking out. And then over the intercom came the call "We have a lost daddy in the store, Gabe we have your daughter at the front of the store" I ran to the front (I was very pregnant and pobably looked funny running) and grabbed her and just cried and cried. Thank God for watching over our little babies!!

Perri said...

Tina, I sat and cried as I read this, realizing with you how quickly your lives could have changed yesterday.

Then I sat and thanked God for watching over Owen and protecting him.

Now a bit of time has passed and I'm sitting here picturing your back yard fence with a roll of barbed wire around the top of it like a prison. Maybe not the selling point you need for the house, though,

Hopefully, that will be your scariest mommy moment that you EVER have.

VaQueenBee said...

I'm so thankful that you found your little boy unharmed! It's so scary to think how quickly they can get away from us.

Jennifer said...

I came over from Perri's blog. What an incredibly frightening experience. Thank you for reminding us all that it only takes and second...and thank you, Jesus, for sparing this little one!

Cathy said...

OH Owie, Owie, Owie.
When you told me over the phone I cried, when I prayed and thanked Jesus I cried, when I retold the story to Eric I cried, and now as I've read this I'm crying. Life is so precious. I'm with Perri on the barbed wire :) Love ya!

Melissa said...

Oh Tina, my heart is racing a mile a minute just reading this. Praise God for keeping Owen safe. The hardest part about not seeing them right away is whether to panic yet or not. It does only take a second but he definitely has angels watching over him! Love you. Melissa

Anonymous said...

i love owen i am soooooo happy he is ok!!!!!


emi

Anonymous said...

I'm with Cathy, I cried on the phone and I cried reading this again. I can't even imagine.

Andi

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

WOW, that's terrifying! Praise God he's okay! I had my husband read this too, it's such a good reminder of how this can happen to anybody at any time. If only I could grow eyes on the back of my head before my boys learn to walk.